Bluetooth was (and still is) a great way to share files with other devices as the setup only takes few seconds and you can easily send files. However, Bluetooth is not a practical option for large files because of its performance and that’s where Wi-Fi Direct comes in handy. This particular feature allows devices to send and receive files using their Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, the software support for this feature is not that great and doing everything manually is difficult.
SHAREit is an amazingly designed app available for Android and iOS devices. It uses Wi-Fi Direct feature and does everything automatically while users can control file transfer from a clean and elegant user interface. The app supports all file types that means you can send documents like PDF, DOCX, TXT, HTML, EXCEL, audio, video and every other file format out there. SHAREit supports sending and receiving multiple files simultaneously using a queue.
One of the best things about SHAREit is its price; the app is available for free on iTunes and Google Play Store. It is compatible with all iOS devices including iPhone, iPod and iPad as well as with all Android devices running Android 4.0 and higher
How to transfer files using SHAREit?
In order to transfer one or multiple files between two devices, you need three things.
- You need two compatible devices. They could be both iOS, both Android or even one iOS and one Android.
- You need Wi-Fi on both devices. However, internet access via data connection is not a requirement as both devices would be using Wi-Fi Direct feature.
- Of course you need to install SHAREit on both devices. You can download the app from relevant app stores and if you have it on one device then you can share it using Bluetooth.
The sending and receiving process is quite similar on all supported devices so for instructions we’d use Android devices for sending and receiving.
- There are two ways to share single or multiple files with another user. You can either first open the SHAREit app and select the files or you can use gallery or a file explorer to browse the relevant files and then share them using the SHAREit app. Both methods yield the same result however I prefer opening the SHAREit app and then selecting the intended files.
- To send, select files and tap on the “send” button.
- The app would automatically search for a nearby device with SHAREit installed on it.
- On the receiving device, tap on “Receive” button and it would should the nearby device sending the files.
- Select that device and it would start receiving the files.
- Depends on the file size, the process could take few seconds to few minutes.
SHAREit is a great way to send files to other devices. The alternatives are Bluetooth and emails, and both of them have their limitations. For example, emails do not allow large files and Bluetooth file transfer is painfully slow. SHAREit is 20X faster than normal Bluetooth file transfer speed.